Crimson Renaissance
March 28, 2024, 04:31:15 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: CALLING ALL OLD CHAPELGOERS!

Since the Chapel is closed at the moment, we can hang around here!

Home Help Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Reincarnation

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Reincarnation  (Read 1367 times)
Mercurius
Geek

« on: July 17, 2008, 12:49:46 am »

Let us talk about this interesting topic, and see how far can we go.

Personally, I would like to remain neutral, as I have stated before that I'm Christian. However, I will participate.

Are you interested? If so, please let us know your opinion.
Report Spam   Logged

Atreicni aroh us, atreic se etreum al. Niatrecnu ruoh sti, niatrec si htaed.
Maria Renard fanlisting
Quote from: CVfan13
No, I mean, I know a hot guy when I see one, but I'm not like "OMG, f*ck me, Trevor!" You know what I mean?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

warfreak
Administrator
Super Obsessant

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 08:42:16 am »

I'm interested. Smiley Personally, I think the topic of reincarnation is vague, and since I'm also Christian, I'm neutral.  .. There are also different types of reincarnation as present in several religions, if I am not mistaken. There's no way to prove it, though, in the same way that there is no way to prove the existence of a supreme god. It's all about faith. o_O
Report Spam   Logged

"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make..."
Mercurius
Geek

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 11:45:37 pm »

So, I think the word "prove" is overrated Grin. Really.

It seems like there are two extreme points of view: the one of those who stress the importance of a poof of validity of "something" to believe in it, and the one of those who think that if no one has proved that this "something" is right or wrong then it's not possible or important, and they just think this way and believe in it.

What are we capable of prove or disprove?
I believe this is a very interesting and important question to keep in mind when dealing with all the drama around the proof requesting manias, and other surrounding topics.
Also:
Why and when we need to prove something?

You know, reincarnation is a word that has its meaning, but its semantical meaning depends in some extent of the social consensus about it. The real meaning of every word depends in ultimate term of the person who is thinking in it. So, if it has a clear meaning for you, a meaning that reflects your reality, then it isn't even necessary to want to prove it. But, if you want to talk about the obscure, bizarre and disfigured meaning that some people think it means in connection with the global reality, and defend based in their short and immature opinions about it, you will have an extremely hard time, starting with the fact that there will not be almost no understanding like when you speak Russian and try to communicate with one talking Italian (a LOT harder than that). That's how a petrified and immature opinion shrinks the mind and impairs communication.

blah blah blah.........
Report Spam   Logged

Atreicni aroh us, atreic se etreum al. Niatrecnu ruoh sti, niatrec si htaed.
Maria Renard fanlisting
Quote from: CVfan13
No, I mean, I know a hot guy when I see one, but I'm not like "OMG, f*ck me, Trevor!" You know what I mean?
CVfan13
Global Moderator
Super Obsessant

Castlevania Addict

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 04:40:05 pm »

Interesting topic.... but it did get a bit out of hand at the chapel, and I know some people were hurt, so we just have to be careful.

As for reincarnation: I believe people get a chance to "live again", but I don't think there's any sort of "soul" that gets carried from one "life" to the "next". I think when we are "here" we just control a body through the motions of "life" and after we "die", "we" simply get control over another "body" when it is "born". So, really, if this is "true" then we have no reason to fear "death" because there's no "afterlife", just another "life" which has no connection to what we'd therefore consider "past lives" and then the cycle simply repeats. Confusing enough for you?
Report Spam   Logged

"If you want to know, beat me!" -Joachim Armster

warfreak
Administrator
Super Obsessant

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 06:53:04 pm »

I sorta understand what you mean. So I guess that means you believe in human-exclusive reincarnation? Smiley I know in some cultures they believe one can get reincarnated into animals such as a..dog..or a worm. o_O Anyway, there's gotta be an end of the world sometime, what happens to the cycle then, I wonder? Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

CVfan13
Global Moderator
Super Obsessant

Castlevania Addict

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 07:34:20 pm »

No, I don't mean human exclusive. I think "you" can be "reborn" as a member of any species that exists on any planet in any area of any bit of this existence. Of course, I'm not even sure if I believe in my own existence... the thing that boggles my mind the most is outer space. Ok, our planet is part of a solar system, which is in a galaxy, and then that just gets bigger and bigger, space goes on and on and ON!!! But what is the ultimate level of bigness you can get to? What if none of anything that exists actually existed? Then what is left to go on? Nothing! Not planets, no people no anything! What it be? endless darkness? But if there was nothing, then even this darkness wouldn't exist! I guess the only way to know is to die.... then what?
Report Spam   Logged

True Sorrow
Global Moderator
Geek

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 08:57:30 am »

I'll stick to Heaven, thank you Wink And, since I'm Lutheran (I'm not being to general, am I...?) I don't even consider Hell Tongue I'll be going to the angels and stuff Cheesy...Eh, I'll just live my life and accept whatever comes at the time. If it means I won't find out at all, due to immediate departure to another body, then that's fine by me.

And CVF, I don't think I've EVER seen so many "s in one paragraph Shocked
Report Spam   Logged

warfreak
Administrator
Super Obsessant

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 09:46:12 am »

So Lutherans believe only in heaven?  Grin That sure sounds nice.. For us (officially) we believe in both heaven and hell. Personally, I like to think (though I doubt it) that purgatory exists.

It's amazing how people try to figure out what they don't know.. I guess human minds just aren't suited to understand the big (REALLY big) picture.
Report Spam   Logged

CVfan13
Global Moderator
Super Obsessant

Castlevania Addict

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 02:33:50 pm »

Human minds are always wondering. Impossible to stop that, really.
Report Spam   Logged

True Sorrow
Global Moderator
Geek

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 04:58:09 pm »

So Lutherans believe only in heaven?  Grin That sure sounds nice..

Well, we believe that Jesus died for our sins, but not only the ones we had committed but also the ones we are committing now, so we won't go to Hell. Well, the words after the last comma are kinda speculation, but many believe it to be so. But the second and third parts (the first, "Well", is a bit general...) are what make Lutherans different from Catholics (I think, don't take my word for it, though), so we usually don't have confessions and such, and even when we do, it's mostly just for getting it out of our chests, to someone we can trust, not necessarily for getting forgiveness from "the holy ones". And that's really why I like it, it offers a more gentle interpretation of Jesus' words, and a more gentle view on things overall Smiley That's not to say that Catholics are wrong, though...wow, this'd get me so many warnings at the Chapel Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

CVfan13
Global Moderator
Super Obsessant

Castlevania Addict

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 10:45:00 pm »

Catholics are wrong
this'd get me so many warnings at the Chapel

True, but here, you get my utmost praise.  Wink

Sorry, just my speculation. Hey, about reincarnation, does anyone else think it's possible, in the event that reincarnation is true, it would be possible to be reincarnated as someone from far into the past that has already died? Or perhaps someone from the future? Or from a different planet? Basically, the space-time continuum has no control over it?
Report Spam   Logged

warfreak
Administrator
Super Obsessant

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 03:04:22 am »

I dunno. I always thought reincarnation followed the normal timeline. Grin That's just pure speculation, though (as well as everything else in this thread)..

Well, we believe that Jesus died for our sins, but not only the ones we had committed but also the ones we are committing now, so we won't go to Hell. Well, the words after the last comma are kinda speculation, but many believe it to be so. But the second and third parts (the first, "Well", is a bit general...) are what make Lutherans different from Catholics (I think, don't take my word for it, though), so we usually don't have confessions and such, and even when we do, it's mostly just for getting it out of our chests, to someone we can trust, not necessarily for getting forgiveness from "the holy ones". And that's really why I like it, it offers a more gentle interpretation of Jesus' words, and a more gentle view on things overall Smiley That's not to say that Catholics are wrong, though...wow, this'd get me so many warnings at the Chapel Tongue
I have to say my personal beliefs lean more towards your end of Christianity. Grin I may be officially Catholic, but I don't believe everything that comes with it.. I was baptized as a baby. For example, the last time I went to confession was about two years ago, and that was because it was required for school (I used to study in a Catholic school. Exclusive for girls. >.< Thank goodness I went somewhere else when I got to college); in fact, all the times I have confessed are seemingly because people required it of me (school, family) and not because I actually went there to confess. That's also not to say Catholic beliefs are wrong, there are just some little things I don't conform with.. I dunno. Religion should be both communal and personal. The core of most religions is to do good and avoid evil, anyway. Grin Trust in God. There are plenty of things that differ, but those things are usually the same. Of course there are some exceptions, such as ancient Greek religion (mythology?) where they have a different concept of good, and also Satanism or something, if that's even a religion. -_-;;

On the topic of reincarnation though, pretty much every religion has a stand on it. Thing is, we have no way of knowing.

Also, CVfan13, if I may ask, why do you seem so vehement towards religion?  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

True Sorrow
Global Moderator
Geek

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 10:46:09 am »

Catholics are wrong

*AHEM*

That's NOT to say that Catholics are wrong, though...

Angry
Report Spam   Logged

CVfan13
Global Moderator
Super Obsessant

Castlevania Addict

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 01:04:52 pm »

Also, CVfan13, if I may ask, why do you seem so vehement towards religion?  Grin

Because I find it completely silly to devote yourself to something that we have no idea or anyway to prove that these things are real. It's impossible to prove if God is real, but it's possible to prove that the bible is wrong. It states that "God" created the world several million years after the actual proven beginning of Earth, for example. My only guess of how religion even came to exist is that some "alien species" had some sort of "interaction" with ancient humans and they believed that they were some sort of "god-like" figures. Either that, or the bible was just the creation of some over-imaginative fool's mind.

Catholics are wrong

*AHEM*

That's NOT to say that Catholics are wrong, though...

Angry

Oooooohhh..... I is sorry, TS.
Report Spam   Logged

warfreak
Administrator
Super Obsessant

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 06:58:21 pm »

Because I find it completely silly to devote yourself to something that we have no idea or anyway to prove that these things are real. It's impossible to prove if God is real, but it's possible to prove that the bible is wrong. It states that "God" created the world several million years after the actual proven beginning of Earth, for example. My only guess of how religion even came to exist is that some "alien species" had some sort of "interaction" with ancient humans and they believed that they were some sort of "god-like" figures. Either that, or the bible was just the creation of some over-imaginative fool's mind.

Methinks you should do your research, my friend. There are many theories as to why the Bible and science do not agree in terms of the creation story, but both theories can be true. The Bible is a full of symbolic things, just because it said God created the world in seven days doesn't mean that it's literally what happened. For one thing, the definition of "seven days" is hazy, because it's GOD we're talking about, He won't have a sense of time the way we do. The way we see it, the Theory of Evolution (possibly the Big Bang theory, too) can very well be true, but that doesn't mean it's not part of God's orchestrated plan.

As for religion's origins, well, many people NEED religion. Nowadays, not as much, but back then, it was important. When bad things start happening that one can't control, people want to believe in a superior being that would help them. That doesn't mean what they believe is real (or otherwise), but they want to believe. It's hard to go through suffering in life without someone to cling to. There are also many theories as to why religion exists. ..In fact, I read somewhere (I don't remember where, or who said it) that even if God may not exist, people would make a god for themselves. They need it. It's a psychological thing.

Also, that's the point of faith in a religious sense. It's to believe in something that can't be proven, but you just know it's there. You feel it. [Of course, I'm guessing this sounds ridiculous from your point of view, but it's just the way things are.  Wink ]

As for the Bible.. Well, I'm guessing it's many many "over-imaginative fools".  Grin It's a literary masterpiece, if nothing else. It's a good read, even if you don't believe in it.

Religion becomes bad only when those who have power abuse it. Like the Catholic church during the medieval ages. [Or Spanish colonialism back then... Bad things happened.] Also when those who believe try to force it down other people's throats.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum